Kamalendu Bhattacharya Memorial Scholarship
The members and wellwishers of the organisation started a scholarship fund in the year 2001-02 in the memory of late Kamalendu Bhattacharya who passed away on February 8, 1998. Kamalendu Bhattacharya along with Shibabrata Sengupta and Tarun Sengupta played a significant role in rejuvenating the organisation in the sixties and rebuilding it in its present form. Many of the members were his direct students at Blind Boys’ Academy, Ramakrishna Ashrama at Narendrapur. His love for his pupils and his positive approach endeared him to each and everybody who came closer to him. He exerted his whole energy to developing a social movement for securing the legitimate rights of the sightless people.
This scholarship of Rs. 1,800 per annum is awarded to the sightless students for two years from amongst applicants who pass the secondary examination (Madhyamik Pariksa). This is a merit-cum-means scholarship, i.e., the results and the situation of the students are taken into account at the time of selection. The following conditions must be remembered by the applicants:
- The applicant must pass the Madhyamik Pariksha (Secondary Examination in West Bengal),
- He/she must get admitted in Class XI for continuing his studies,
- Each student has to submit his progress report on promotion to class XII for the second instalment of the scholarship.
A new scholarship of a one-time cash award of Rs. 5,000 has been introduced this year in the memory of Keshab Chandra Bhattacharya and Sarojbasini Debi. This scholarship will be awarded to a sightless student for his/her outstanding performance in the Higher Secondary Examination. In this case also the applicant must be a resident of West Bengal and continue his study in the next grade. Sponsors are also invited to contribute to this scholarship fund.
Applications Invited for Scholarship for 2015
Applications are invited for Kamalendu Bhattacharya Memorial Scholarship and Keshab Chandra Bhattacharya and Sarojbasini Debi Memorial Scholarship for the year 2015 from successful visually challenged candidates who have passed Madhyamik (Secondary) or Uccha Madhyamik Pariksa (Higher Secondary Examination) in 2015. Willing candidates are requested to send their application with the following:
- Copies of marks sheet of the Secondary / Higher Secondary Examination (as applicable),
- Proof of admission in the next academic session,
- Disability certificate and
- Income certificate.
Applications must reach our office at the following address within January 16, 2016:
Blind Persons’ Association
6B Panchanantala Road, 2nd Floor,
Kolkata – 700029
For any query contact President Shri Narayan Ganguly on 8013915316.
Latest Recipients of Kamalendu Bhattacharya Memorial Scholarship 2014
The following students have been nominated for this scholarship for the year 2014-15:
- Chiranjib Das, Coochbehar Town High School, Coochbehar
- Falguni Pal, Calcutta Blind School, Kolkata
- Hiranmay Mondal, Louis Braille Memorial School for the Sightless, Hooghly
- Sabina Banu, Rajdanga P.M. High School, Jalpaiuri
- Madan Mahato, Barasini N.L. High School, Purulia